The Palazzo della civiltà italiana (Palace of Italian Civilization) is a monumental building with a square base located in Rome in the EUR or E42 district, the area of the City intended to host the Universal Exposition of Rome in 1942. Plan and designed between 1936 and 1937, its construction began in 1938 and it was inaugurated, still incomplete, in 1940; the works were interrupted in 1943 and then completed between 1951 and 1953, when it hosted the International Agricultural Exhibition. The building has four equal faces with 54 arches per facade (9 in row and 6 in column), a reinforced concrete structure and a travertine lining. 60 meters high and 53 meters wide, it rests on a stepped base.
On the four crowns, the monument shows on three lines, painted in black on the marble and in new lapidary: “A people of poets of artists of heroes of saints of thinkers of scientists of navigators of transmigrators”. The same characters (only E here correctly presents the basic connection also present on the L) is used on the façade of the nearby Palazzo alle fontane (Palace of the Fountains).
Through the study of this new lapidary has been developed the new font EUR42, which compared to the original introduces minimal optical corrections (has been added a light overshoot of the round and pointed letters and has been slightly thickened the horizontal bar of the A). And finally the Greek letters were also added.
The result can be downloaded below.